EPONINE MEETS > LAURA CATHCART
We caught up with Laura Cathcart - long time Eponine client and milliner - about her work and inspiration.
1. Your hats are absolutely beautiful, Laura! How did you get into millinery?
It actually started as a hobby as I had always had a passion for wearing hats myself. I love making things with my hands and found I had an interest in traditional techniques. I picked it up very quickly! Following that I took on an apprenticeship with milliner Gina Foster.
2. Is there a collection of yours that you feel is most “you”?
I love The Butterfly House Collection for special occasions as I have always had a passion for bold colour. I find myself being drawn to wearing these most in the Spring and Summer.
At home I wear my cowgirl hats from The Prairie Collection as I can throw them on with just about anything.
3. Like Eponine, you use lots of colour in your hats. Is this what drew you to Eponine? And if not, what did?
Funnily enough, the first dress I brought from Eponine was in blue denim. It was the cut of the dress and the nod to the 50's and 60's style of the collections that drew me to the brand. I have always bought a lot of vintage clothes for their cut, so its lucky to have found a brand I feel combines these wonderful classic cuts with a more modern choice of fabrics!
4. Is there a collection or piece that you like most from the Eponine archive?
I am still in love with the yellow hounds tooth dress you made me about 3 years ago. I wear it time and time again and always get a compliment without fail.
5. You’ve recently purchased a Round Neck Eponine ready-to-wear cotton dress, which of your hats will you wear it with?
I chose this dress in particular as it had so many bright colours within the print which means it will give me huge scope when it comes to choosing my hats. The first hat I'll wear with it is my classic 'Jessica' pill box in poppy pink. Its a simple flattering piece allowing the dress to do the talking as it were.